RJA Conference 2017 is only two months away! This time the annual conference will be taking place at Robinson Jeffers' alma mater, Occidental College, in Los Angeles, California. Mark your calendars: Friday, February 24 to Sunday, February 26.
Robinson Jeffers spent nearly a decade in Los Angeles, living most of his collegiate years there. He also met his highly influential wife-to-be there. Entries in the Carmel Pine Cone show that for a couple years after Robin and Una Jeffers moved to Carmel, they were still regarded residents of Pasadena. They spent the summer of 1915 in Pasadena and their twin boys were born in Pasadena in late 1916. The Jeffers did not settle in Carmel until 1917.
There is a sense in which Jeffers was a Southern California poet, though he wrote little of value there. It might be said that his poetry was in one aspect a rejection of his Angeleno years, but even as such might have been impossible without his Angeleno years.
The 2017 RJA Conference program has been released. These tend to change with time, so check back for updates. Presenters include:
- Camille T. Dungy — poet; professor of English at Colorado State University.
- Helena de Lemos — special collections librarian at Occidental College
- Jocelyn Pedersen — book artist and professor of letterpress printing at Occidental College.
- Jeremiah Axelrod — history professor at Occidental College; director of the Institute for the Study of Los Angeles
As of January 18, the RJA has added nine presenters and panelists:
- Whitney Hoth — Fanshawe College, London, Ontario
- Brett Colasacco — University of Chicago
- Geneva Gano — Texas State University, San Marcos
- Rob Kafka — Independent Researcher
- James Karman — C.S.U. Chico
- Robert Zaller — Drexel University
- Kevin Batton — Independent Scholar
- Mick McAllister — Independent Scholar, Blogger
- Lili Bita — Poet and Actress