Carmel Timeline, 1900–1909

Year Event
1902 Michael J. Murphy builds his first house in Carmel.
  Carmel Development Company founded.
  Frank and Jane Powers move to Carmel.
1903 Bohemia-by-the-Sea conceived and mapped by the Carmel Development Company.
  The Pine Inn, partly the work of contractor M.J. Murphy, opens.
1904 Camino Real just south of Ocean becomes known as “Professor’s Row.”
1905 The Arts and Crafts Club is founded by Jane Powers and several other Carmel women.
  Poet George Sterling builds his house in Carmel; invites his Bay Area artist and celebrity friends down for retreats.
  David Starr Jordan, first president of Stanford University, builds his home in Carmel.
1906 The San Francisco Earthquake and Fire prompt some San Franciscans to move elsewhere. Some artists, bohemians, and well-to-dos relocate to Carmel, if only temporarily.
  Carmel Bowling Alley opened.
  The Sunset School opens at San Carlos and 9th
1907 All tours of 17-Mile Drive are now by automobile.
1908 First Pebble Beach Lodge completed.
  Dramatist Herbert Heron moved to Carmel from Los Angeles.
  Library constructed on Lincoln, between Ocean and 6th

 

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer